Monday, November 1, 2010

tie a stronger knot!

The last rodeo was October 23rd. And I'm just now mustering up the courage to write about it.

That's because the worst thing ever happened. Well, not the worst thing ever. I guess that would entail someone getting hurt or something. It wasn't that bad. It's just that I got… DQ'd.

That's right-- disqualified. The day was going quite swimmingly. Ally and I were kicking major mule ass (if you don't know about the mule, read previous posts) in every class: barrels, poles, keyhole, speed barrels. Then it came time for the goats. DAMNED GOATS!

I did everything I had practiced. My run down was flawless. My dismount at full-speed was graceful. I ran down the rope and flanked the goat at the speed of light, tying it in a flash. I raised my arms to signal I was done. "11 seconds!" the announcer shouted. WOW. I had shaved my time immensely. The crowd roared. I ginned from cheek to cheek.

And then, after four seconds, that damn goat kicked off the rope.

In order for a tie to be legal, it must stay on for six seconds. Ahhhhhh! I was devastated. At first I thought this only put me in second place for goat tying. Then, a few minutes later I realized a DQ means no time.. no score.. no points!

At the end of the day, mule lady had won the daily high point with 55 points, even though she had placed second in every event and first at goat tying. I, with five first place ribbons, only came away with 50 points.

And so, this makes my overall points for the buckle at 153. And the mule lady? Ugh. 153 as well.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment