Sunday, October 17, 2010

Smiles. Rain. Love.

Turnin' n' burnin' tight circles, hugging the barrel, sparking out and racing full speed ahead….

After riding two days with "direct-line-thinking" on the brain, I could tell… Ally was… PISSED!

Today we took it a step back (sigh…). When catching her, I already knew her mood was better than on days prior---she came to me from the other side of the corral, nickering and ready to play.

Rain drops were forming and grey clouds loomed in the distance. The arena below was freshly groomed. My 22' and 45' lines hung on the fence next to my carrot stick. And most importantly, my pockets were loaded with cookies.

We played "Falling Leaf" and "Touch It" and "Sideways," with her earning cookies galore. We danced a little at liberty, playing "Backward 'S,'" but she was hesitant to turn left each time, like she didn't want me in her right eye. Hmmm. How interesting. I made a mental note and moved on.

We tried the 45' line, and I should add that it was our first time ever. Once I got it untangled from my hands and her legs (oh.. and from the savvy string, too), we were off and circling. She cantered effortlessly, any sign of her left-brained-introvertness fluttering off in the distance. I couldn't help but think that maybe she LIKED the increase in real estate. Maybe cantering on the 22 is harder for her. A-ha. Another mental note.

Then suddenly, she stopped cantering and faced me, as if to say, "ha ha! I'm way out here now! You can't tag me with your stick! You can't make me canter anymore!" And I just laughed, this time making a mental note that I'll have to have David Lichman help me with the 45!

And that was it. The rain started to pour down, wetting her fur and my ponytail. I flung my hood over my head and ran around the arena, gathering up my things from the tops of the barrels and the fenceposts. With my hood snug around my dampened cheeks, my peripheral vision was blocked. I felt a presence near me and turned my head slightly to see… Ally… right along side me. She was trotting around the arena at my shoulder, playing "mirror me," and I hadn't even known it.

Smiles. Rain. Love.

1 comment: