Friday, October 1, 2010

Swimming with goats

Goat tying is my worst event. By far. Like I stumble and fall in the dirt when I dismount. I flail helplessly when I tackle the bleating creature. I get horns in my thighs as I wrangle him to the ground. I tie the rope around multiple times, like a clueless preschooler trying to tie a shoe. And I pray a silent prayer that it doesn't come undone when, what seems like years later, I finally raise my hands, signaling the flagger and timer to end the agony.

It's time to do some homework.

I bought a goat tying video online from Rodeo Videos, Inc. I never knew such a company existed. A small niche for them indeed. And goat tying is supposedly spelled, "goat tyeing" much to my dismay, English major that I am. I'm okay with that.

The video is of backyard quality: some young chick who apparently DIDN'T major in public speaking shows viewers that she can flank a goat and tye it (again, this is supposedly proper goat tyeing spelling) at the speed of light, her arms moving faster than a hummingbird's wings.

I actually learned a lot from.. Kit.. I think her name was. I'll get into the technical stuff, like flanking, another time.

That night, as I drifted off to a peaceful slumber, my eyes burning from the late-night intense examinations of the goat tyeing DVD, visions of brown and white horned creatures filled my head. I dreamed my neighbor had a multitude of goats all over her yard, and I was swimming around them, lost. Symbolism? Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment