Thursday, November 4, 2010

Momma's sick, but she still means business!

Another sick day. I spent it like any coughing cowgirl would: in the middle of a circle, my horse trotting and cantering around me.

Ally's favorite game has never been the circling game. As an LBI, she is lazier than lazy. I first discovered the yo-yo game had become increasingly crooked and sticky. I moved away from the circle and placed two barrels horse-width apart, then placed a cookie piece on each barrel. I yo-yo'd her back and forth through the barrels, but she still was so crooked at times, moving her hip out toward me. I finally gave a phase 4 (or maybe a phase 3, since I'm ill and weak) on her zone 4 and that straightened her out completely. Voi-la!

Next, I discovered that that little lesson was such a HUGE part of getting our circling game going well. When we moved back over to the circle, Ally cantered off from the send. Yahoo! She knew I meant business. And she stayed cantering most of the time! There was just one little spot when she was tracking right where she would break to trot. I had visions of Jarno and Kathy, and their two very different (yet very effective) approaches to fixing the problem. I tried smacking the ground with my carrot stick at the place where she would break to trot. After a few rotations, she went past that place at a canter (a speedy one, mind you!) and that was it. Reward and rest. Lick and chew.

She was in a sweat after the workout and I was, too. It was 82 degrees up there. The poor girl has already grown her winter coat. She must be so confused. A cool hose-off and a roll in the dirt ended the day on yet another good note.

No comments:

Post a Comment